Looking for a healthy frozen treat recipe for hot summer days? This homemade chocolate popsicle recipe is fudgy and refreshing made with real fruit and no refined sugar!
If you have a couple ripe bananas sitting on your countertop and cocoa powder in your pantry, you are well on your way to making this simple frozen summer treat.
And the kids will thank you, I promise!
Homemade Popsicles Are the Perfect Healthy Summer Frozen Treat
Nothing says summer quite like kids eating melting popsicles outside on a hot, sunny afternoon.
Except maybe kids splashing around in an inflatable kiddie pool in the backyard. Put those two together – popsicles plus kiddie pool – and my kids have entered summertime bliss!
Let’s face it, kids love popsicles. And you know what, grown-ups love popsicles too! At least this one does. I just love the cold, refreshing sweetness when it’s blazing hot outside.
The great thing about homemade popsicles is that you can sneak in some nutrition, and everyone loves them the same! You can make a popsicle out of just about any smoothie mixture with the simple added step of pouring the mixture into a mold and freezing it for a few hours.
Smoothies are great with breakfast or for a snack, but there is just something special about a popsicle that elevates it to “treat” status. It’s worth the extra step in my book!
How To Make This Healthy Frozen Treat Recipe:
Homemade Chocolate Popsicle Recipe Kitchen Tools
Medium mixing bowl
Immersion blender or conventional blender
Popsicle molds – I use a set of 6
Liquid measuring cup
Homemade Chocolate Popsicle Recipe Ingredients
2 ripe bananas – hint: riper bananas = sweeter popsicles!
1 to 1 1/2 cups full fat unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream – I adjust this amount depending on the size of the bananas I’m using, so I have enough mixture to fill the molds. I have found the half cup difference doesn’t change the taste significantly.
3 tbsp cocoa powder – adjust this amount to your preferences! We like a strong chocolate flavor, almost like dark chocolate. Decrease chocolate to 2 tbsp if you want these to be more like milk chocolate.
1 tsp vanilla extract – it’s not totally necessary, but I do love the added vanilla flavor!
Pinch of salt – a little salt brings out all the flavors nicely.
Up to 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey to reach desired sweetness. I’ve only ever added maple syrup when I was too impatient to let the bananas ripen!
Homemade Chocolate Popsicle Recipe Process
1. Add ingredients to medium mixing bowl.
2. Use an immersion blender to mix ingredients until well blended. Mixture should be smooth and a little thinner than a milkshake or smoothie.
3. Pour mixture into popsicle molds.
4. Freeze 4-5 hours or until frozen solid.
5. Remove from molds and enjoy immediately!
Watch Me Make Healthy Homemade Chocolate Popsicles
Tips for Making Homemade Popsicles
The best way I have found to remove homemade popsicles from the molds is to run them under warm water for about 30 seconds before attempting to remove them.
I like to mix these up in the morning and have a healthy frozen treat ready to enjoy as a summer afternoon snack.
Homemade Chocolate Popsicles Printable Recipe
- 2 ripe bananas (riper = sweeter)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups whole fat unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream (I adjust this amount depending on the size of the bananas I'm using, so I have enough mixture to fill the molds)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- optional: up to 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey to reach desired sweetness (I've only ever added maple syrup when I was too impatient to let the bananas ripen)
- Add ingredients to medium mixing bowl.
- Use an immersion blender to mix ingredients until well blended. Mixture should be smooth and a little thinner than a milkshake or smoothie.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds (I use this set of 6 molds)
- Freeze 4-5 hours or until frozen solid.
- Remove from molds and enjoy immediately!
- The best way I have found to remove these popsicles from the molds is to run them under warm water for about 30 seconds before attempting to remove them.
- I like to mix these up in the morning and have a healthy frozen treat ready to enjoy as an afternoon snack.
Enjoy More Summer Recipes from Feast and Fasten:
Use up your garden zucchini and herbs with these delicious Homemade Italian Meatballs
Chop a bunch of cilantro and heat up your cast iron skillets for this yummy Crispy Falafel Recipe.
Grab a couple green tomatoes from the garden and fry up these Cast Iron Skillet Fried Green Tomatoes for a delicious snack or side.